20 storey student accommodation development
Working with: RG Group, Crosslane Developments & Day Architects
The proposal is to develop the site into a new purpose-built, high specification 20 storey student accommodation scheme with 604 beds, and dedicated communal areas, including a common room, along with study room and a private outdoor courtyard.
Our role included negotiating the Design and Build contract on behalf of RG Group and Crosslane Student Living from inception of cost plan through to agreeing the Construction Contract. We carried out an initial cost plan, specification review and programme to check that the Client’s aspirations were aligned with what was achievable. This set the projects timeline and maximum cost with target savings to achieve the Client’s budget. Working under a PCSA we engaged the designers and key specialist contractors to target High Risks based upon, Cost, Programme and Quality
How we made a difference
- In carrying out the design review we added value to the scheme via:
- Omitting a stair core
- Increasing Room numbers from 583 to 604
- Increasing Amenity Space
- Decreasing Floor to Ceiling Heights
- Increasing the number of floors (but still achieved the overall planning height)
- Reducing the perceived risk associated with undesigned element e.g. ‘folded’ feature to the elevation treatment and tall building fire risk post Grenfell.
These changes were incorporated into the scheme and passed through planning as a section 73 application.
RG Group and Crosslane Developments agreed to our Contract sum, Programme, Contractors Proposals, Provisional Sums and Contract Conditions and the project is being constructed.
These are the services we provided on this project